Delicious chocolate & Dutch liquorice muffins.
The saltiness of the liquorice is a great combination with the sweetness of the muffin and chocolate – it is similar to chocolate with caramel and sea salt. Klepper & Klepper liquorice is ideal for this given its consistency and clean taste.
- 75g Klepper & Klepper mild salt liquorice, finely chopped
- 100g high quality dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 100g caster sugar
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 270ml Whipping cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. vanilla essence
- Optional: 100g Klepper & Klepper liquorice of your choice for a liquorice syrup topping
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade (160 fan assisted) / 350 f / gas mark 4.
- Put the muffin wrappers in a muffin tin.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the whipping cream, sugar and vanilla essence.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Add the baking powder and gradually add flour whilst stirring
- Mix the chocolate & liquorice and stir through the mixture.
- Fill the muffin wrappers up to just below the edge with the mixture.
- Bake the muffins in the oven for 25 minutes.
- To check if they are ready insert a skewer into them - if the skewer is dry when you remove it, they're done).
Fancy a liquorice syrup topping?
Melt 100 grams The Best Drop Ever (flavour of your choice) in a saucepan with 8 tablespoons water. Slowly bring to a simmer on low heat, constantly stirring until all the liquorice has melted. Turn off the heat and pour over the muffins as a topping once it has cooled to nearer room temperature.
Permission to reproduce this recipe has very kindly been provided by Klepper & Klepper. Recipe originally created by HighTea.NL - the number 1 site to book a high tea in the Netherlands.
Leave a comment