In this delicious dish featuring aubergine (Eggplant), liquorice is an excellent seasoning. A very simple recipe that takes just half an hour and rewards with a meal full of flavour.
In this recipe we steam the aubergines by using a microwave. The microwave draws out some of the fruit’s moisture, which collapses its cellular structure of the flesh. Basically, it rids the eggplant of some of its sponge-ike qualities, preventing it from absorbing so much oil. Less oil results in a better texture and taste.
This makes a hearty and healthy meal for two or sides for four.
- Olive oil
- 2 Aubergines
- 400g cherry or baby plum tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 spring onion
- 1 red chili
- Parsley leaves
- 1 pack of feta cheese, chopped or crumbled.
- 1 lemon (Optional)
- 1 teaspoon of Lakritsfabriken liquorice powder
- Flaked Sea salt (Lakritskocken Liquorice & Black Garlic Salt is perfect)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Microwave the Aubergines. To do this, rinse dry them and then prick them all over with a fork or toothpick. Place the whole aubergines (do not cut them) on a plate and put them in the microwave on full power for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes in half, and finely chop the onion, garlic, chilli and parsley leaves. Fry all this until soft in a pan with olive oil.
- Add the liquorice powder and season to taste with the sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Optionally, add a few drops of lemon juice if you like.
- Turn the heat down and leave the tomato salsa to simmer in the pan for a little while.
- Whilst the pan is simmering, take the aubergines out of the microwave (Be careful of the steam)
- Cut them in half lengthwise, you will find that the centres are soft and creamy. Drizzle over some olive oil and season with a little sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Fry the aubergine in a second frying pan with olive oil to give it a nice colour (If you don’t have a second frying pan, just transfer the tomato salsa to a warm plate and re-use it)
- Serve the fried aubergine with the feta cheese and top with the delicious tomato and liquorice salsa. Finish with a pinch of liquorice salt on top.
Permission to reproduce this recipe has very kindly been provided by Lakritsfabriken and has been translated and adapted by Liquorice Heaven.