Taveners Liquorice Pontefract Cakes – Traditional English Liquorice Sweets
Taveners Pontefract cakes - traditional English liquorice sweets in the shape of an old coin and stamped with the seal of approval. Soft & chewy sweet liquorice gums with a good taste of aniseed.
Vegetarian & dairy-free.
About Pontefract Cakes
The town of Pontefract was making liquorice as early as 1614. A hand-held ‘stamp’ was used to authenticate each piece of liquorice using an image of Pontefract Castle.
The fields that grew the liquorice plants that supplied the factories with roots had been growing for several hundred years on grounds that once belonged to Pontefract Castle. They were originally grown by the local Monks who recognised the medicinal benefits and they ended up receiving a Royal Decree protecting their rights to a monopoly on liquorice root production in England.
By 1760, the Dunhill family was doing well with its liquorice-growing business. George Dunhill had a brilliant idea and he mixed sugar with the liquorice-root extract and created a chewable sweet.
People loved it and it became known as the Pontefract. Dunhill called them Pomfret Cakes, the original Norman name for Pontefract. They were also widely known as Yorkshire Pennies.
In the early days of the 20th century, the town of Pontefract (In Yorkshire ) had 13 liquorice factories that made and exported this candy all over the world. Whilst only a few factories now exist, they still host a liquorice festival.
Until the 1960’s all Pontefract Cakes were stamped by hand with the trademark image of Pontefract Castle using a tool called a thumper. The workers that did this were known as thumpers. Workers pulled a lump of liquorice and kneed and roll it until it was soft and pliable before pulling off small pieces, flattening them into coin shapes and thumping them. A good thumper could stamp 20,000 Pontefract Cakes per day!
Unfortunately today, the liquorice fields have been abandoned. The last liquorice harvest in Pontefract took place in 1966 by commercial grower James Shay.
Thanks to the efforts of two confectionery companies Haribo (Formerly Dunhill) and Taveners (Formerly Wilkinsons of Pontefract) Pontefract liquorice is being made again. The raw liquorice is now imported from Spain, Italy and Turkey.
Taveners was established in 1904 by William Henry Tavener. Taveners are famous for iconic and traditional sweets such as Liquorice Allsorts, Coconut Mushrooms, Wine Gums and Jelly Babies. They have factories in the sweet manufacturing capital of the UK (Pontefract) and through acquisition, make one of the earliest surviving Pontefract cakes after taking ownership of Wilkinsons of Pontefract. They form part of a larger group of companies that includes Barratt (Which at one point was owned by Bassett’s!)
Treacle, glucose syrup, maize starch, invert sugar syrup, WHEAT flour (WHEAT flour, calcium carbonate, iron, niacin, thiamin), liquorice extract, modified potato starch, vegetable oils (palm, sunflower, coconut), flavouring, glazing agent (carnauba wax).
Please note that all ingredients information is as provided by the manufacturer. Allergy Information is in bold.
Typical values per 100g.
|Energy||1358 kJ / 320 kcal|
|of which saturates||0.2g|
|of which sugars||53.5g|